Saturday 23 May 2015

Miniature Spotlight; War of 1812: Putting it all Together

  Rather than revisiting Victrix and Perry miniatures, I will instead include them here. Below are the best options for 28mm. I'm sure I would have more Brigade Games and Knuckleduster in my collection if they had all of their figures out 3 years ago. As it is I will still be picking up more from both.

There are definitely good options for gaming at 25mm with Old Glory and Foundry as well. 



Building Your Armies
British Infantry;
Perry, Victrix, Warlord Games, Knuckleduster or Brigade Games

Knuckleduster British infantry, mixed with Perry command, Victrix artillery and Old Glory rockets.

Canadian Infantry;
Knuckleduster or Brigade Games

Old Glory at right, Knuckleduster centre with North Star at Right.

Canadian Militia; 
North Star (French), Brigade Games or Knuckleduster

North Star French Militia (From their French Wilderness Force)

British Artillery

Victrix British Artillery

Victrix or Perry with a stove pipe head swipe where necessary (Perry cannons are nicer IMO). Knuckleduster and Brigade Games make crew but no / few cannons. 

Brigade Games British / Canadian Artillery


British Rockets
This Warlord Games ladder stand with some converting of uniforms could work. *One battery of RHA did fight at New Orleans. Otherwise they were all marine rockets (see below).

Perry Carlist War rockets with a head conversion and a Brigade Games officer. As mentioned in an earlier post there were three types of British Rocket launchers, presumably all would have been in North America. 

Indians;
Knuckleduster, North Star or Brigade Games

Brigade Games Indians

US Regulars Artillery and Cavalry;
Knuckleduster or Perry/ Victrix Conversions *I have Perry French cannons
*Brigade Games 1814 only

My most complicated conversion US Light Dragoons (from Perry plastic British Hussars and French Dragoons).

US Militia;
Knuckleduster, Brigade Games or Perry (American War of Independence)

Generals and Colonels;
Perry British (And US = Dutch / Belgian), Knuckleduster or Brigade Games

American Command made from Perry Dutch / Belgians

U.S. militia General from Knuckleduster. 

4 comments:

  1. thanks for putting this all together, I'm in the middle of building some large skirmish forces for this conflict and your page is invaluable

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you find it of use. I like researching it as much as gaming it!

    I have plan on getting back to it soon. Lots of battles still left to be fought! Bladensburg, Plattsburgh, North Point, New Orleans.

    I also have an amazing frontier fort perfect for Fort Stephenson, Fort Meigs and Mackinac. It is modular so could be a centre piece or the edge of a large Fort (Fort Meigs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an interest in the 41st Foot and am thinking about a campaign based on their time in Canada during the war, I'll keep you informed with how it goes

      Delete
  3. I know its been years since this was posted, it looks great. Thanks for doing it! I'm wondering if you have, or know of any, guides for which 28mm plastic kits can be converted to US War of 1812 type figures? For example, any figures that can be converted to Maryland Militia? I know there are some companies making them, but they are all in metal. I need something a bit cheaper per figure. :)

    ReplyDelete