Saturday 23 May 2015

Miniature Spotlight; Knuckleduster Miniatures: War of 1812

 There are 4 manufacturers who focus on the War of 1812 in 28mm; Old Glory, Wargames Foundry, Knuckleduster Minuatures and Brigade Games. I have miniatures from all but Wargames Foundry.

  In this post I am reviewing Knuckleduster Minuiatures, the only company of those I just listed that has an almost complete range of 1812 figures. They have roughly 3 or 4 more times the number of units and figures than BG or Wargames Foundry. They make most units for 1812. Old Glory comes close for types of units. 


  I currently possess by KD; marching British infantry in stove pipes, marching round hat wearing Canadian Militia, marching US frontier militia, Caldwell's Rangers, and mounted US frontier militia.


  Size wise KD miniatures are a perfect match for Perry metal miniatures (Perry plastics tend to be larger) and I have even mixed them in the same unit.



  Knuckleduster has the only accurate version US Light Dragoons. WGF and OG makes these guys, but with super small horses and incorrect plumes! The side plume featured in many plates is incorrect and based on post war examples.


   In many cases Kuckleduster have the nicest sculpts as well; they have the nicest frontier militia of all four ranges, both mounted and on foot. They also make the nicest horses of all of these ranges. Their marching infantry is also very good, as are their historically accurate Indians and many advancing units.  I would have much more if these in my collection if I had discovered them sooner. Unfortunately I bought enmasse early on. In addition I like converting so the bulk of my collection ended up being Perry conversions. 


  The quality of their metal is as good it gets, durable with virtually no flash. Excellent quality.

  Some advancing and skirmishing miniatures are not as nice for pose quality and overall sculpting, this is the only negative of Knuckleduster Miniatures. 

  Forrest Harris, owner and creator of Knuckleduster Miniatures has the best online customer service I have encountered. He actually switched up packs for me, giving me exactly the miniatures I wanted. Shipping was reasonable and fast (Brigade Games was not as fast and would not send me a missing figure from a pack unless I made another order!). Prices are very good, especially if you buy the regimental packs.



Unit Number; 10
Pose Number; 9 
Scupt Quality; Ranges from 6 to 9
Metal Quality; 10
28mm Scale; 10 
Historical Accuracy; 10
Customer Service; 10
Price; 10

Up next Brigade Games.

2 comments: